Thursday, December 1, 2011

SSCS exchange, a win and a few finishes..

Hi everyone,
December already! Where did the year go?
This year I signed up for the annual SSCS exchange on Chookyblue's blog
and my package arrived a couple of days ago. The main gift is not to be opened until Christmas but we all made an ornament which can be opened when the package is received.
My partner turned out to be Annie in Australia and here's a picture of the lovely way she wrapped my goodies


I opened my ornament package which was wrapped in a FQ of some lovely teacup fabric which I will put to good use.

My ornament turned out to be a little Matryoshka doll angel. What a cute idea. I love the pinwheel fabric she is wearing :)



Thanks Annie. I love my ornament and can't wait to see what is inside the big package.





I haven't been able to do much stitching over the past few weeks because of my arm/shoulder problem. However, I turned to my box of things that needed to be finished and I spent a few days putting things together.
The first one I stitched so many years ago I no longer remember who the designer is........
I'm guessing Lizzie Kate but I have no idea what the design is called.
I finished it into a simple pillow and it looks so pretty I had to wonder what took me so long.




Backing fabric is Moda Peace on Earth


This next ornament is another oldie. It was stitched many, many years ago and finished into a tuck pillow. All I can remember about this one is that the design is by Bent Creek. I decided it was time for a bit of a makeover so here it is brought up to date



The next ornament is a more recent finish.
Peppermint Twist by Little House Needleworks. I didn't have the special button but I think it is pretty enough without it. I backed this one with the same fabric as the Lizzie Kate ornament. It is stitched on unknown linen using the recommended threads.




I'm sure this one needs no introduction being one of the Prairie Schooler Santas




and another one



I stitched this little pillow for my 11 yr old grand daughter Amy who is crazy about ice skating. It's a JBW design stitched on 32ct linen with DMC thread. You can't see it very well in the picture but I stitched a Mill Hill glass treasure star onto the bow because to us she is a star :)



If you click the link you can see her skating in one of her competitions

I was lucky enough to win this gorgeous pincushion on Mary's blog




Isn't it gorgeous? I absolutely love it and was thrilled to be the winner as I doubt it is something I would have made for myself. There is a LOT of work in the Dresden Plate pattern and it would have been very fiddly to make with such small pieces.

Lastly a tiny Christmas quilt I made a couple of years ago but never showed here on the blog. It is decorated with stars and bugle beads, It was a lot of fun to make.



I think that's it for now. Welcome to my new followers and a big thank you as always for visiting and taking the time to leave your lovely comments.
Margaret

35 comments:

Nancy said...

Buenas Dias Margaret! What a lovely post to read and see. Your exchange gift is lovely, and she wrapped it so pretty! The pincushion is so cheerful, isn't it?

Your ornaments are just beautiful! It must have been fun to decide how to finish all of them. A beautiful tree quilt too! Everything you make always is!

Pat said...

You have some great finishes Margaret. Love them all. Hope your arm/shoulder is finally feeling better. Your little ornament is adorable. Amy is quite a star. She did a great job in the video. Does she get this talent from the grandma???

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

How satisfying to achieved so many 'finishes'! I love the cross stitch ornaments something I've never tried. Lucky you to get such a nice swap

Margaret said...

I always enjoy your blog posts. So many wonderful finish finishes! Great ornies, and lovely Christmas quilt. Nice ornie from your exchange too. Hope your shoulder/arm problem gets better soon. Such a bummer.

Lili said...

How cute the doll angel, wonderfuk gift!

Your ornaments are so beautiful!!!

The Christmas quilt is gorgeous!

Hope you feel better soon!!

Hugs!!

Lesleyanne said...

Your ornaments are gorgeous. The L*K is Winter ABCs, I think. You have received some lovely gifts.

Caz said...

Hi Margaret,
nice to see Amy on the ice! As always love the ornaments! x

angelasweby said...

Margaret, I love all your Christmas ornament finishes. They are all beautifully backed and trimmed. I especially love the little star on Amy's ornament, she is so talented, well beyond her years. She will love it. The PS ones are gorgeous.
Well done on winning the pretty pincushion and your exchange doll is lovely. How nice to have a surprise exchange gift to open on Christmas day.
Your tree quilt is so festive. Even with a bad shoulder you still manage to give us a real treat on your blog. Get well soon, dear friend.
Angela xx

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely ornament from Annie.....

you have finished some gorgeous ornaments.........

lovely pincushion win........

Mouse said...

oooo lovely exchange gift and sorry to hear your shoulder isn't good ... love the ornaments you finished off though :) love mouse xxx off to go and peek at the link :) xxx

Annie said...

Wow what beautiful ornaments I'm honored that my little angel will hang amongst them. Lovely to see the parcel all the way on the other side of the world.

Ellen said...

Great ornaments, love them!

Love that beautiful quilt too!

Hope your arm/shoulder is feeling better now.

Hugs,

Carol said...

Oh, I just loved the video of your dear granddaughter, Margaret--she is a beautiful little skater! Having never, ever been on a pair of skates in my life, I can't even begin to imagine how she does some of those moves...

And you know how much I love your ornaments--your tree will be especially lovely this year :)

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Your little ornaments are gorgeous Margaret, you must have the most beautifully decorated Christmas tree!!
What a brilliant little ice skater you have there, her routine was excellent and what a finish!! You must be very proud!
Vivienne x

laurawilson25 said...

I love the Christmas quilt. Was it a kit or a pattern?

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Your ornaments are lovely! I would hard to choose a favorite. I love the tree wall hanging. Lovely work as always. I hope your arm and shoulder are feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

lovely swap parcel received and love your ornaments

Elisa said...

Lots of wonderful goodies for us to look at as always Margaret...your ornies are perfect as always!

jane said...

Lots of lovely ornaments Margaret and your pincushion win is stunning! I hope that you are back stitching soon.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a sweet little doll! Your cross-stitch ornaments are beautiful and I love that little tree....is it paper pieced?

Sheila said...

As ever, loads of beautiful goodies, to and from, for us to drool over :)

Toffe said...

Preciosos adornos navideños!!!!
Enhorabuena.
Un beso

Ren said...

Margaret, your granddaughter is beautiful ... she is a shining star. Love all your beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

Mindi said...

Your stitching might be limited due to an injury, but your finishing is fantastic. I love the cute gingham ribbon you used on the first mystery ornament.

Siobhán said...

Sweet finishes, wins, and exchanges! I love your ornament re-dos, too. The Prairie Schooler santas are my favorite, but then I have a love for all things PS santa! ;) Happy Christmas if I don't 'talk' to you before then!

Andrea said...

Lovely finishes and exchanges. Your grand-daughter is very good. I've only been ice-skating once and nearly sliced my finger open, so thought I'd better leave it!

Karoline said...

Great finishing Margaret, they're all lovely

Anonymous said...

Beautiful ornaments! I am feeling very inspired- I don't normally have a Christmas tree as the cats are fond of climbing it and pulling it down but next year I will definitely be putting one up with stitched decorations and just hoping the cats don't notice ;)

Daffycat said...

Wonderful finishes, Margaret! I'm hoping your shoulder pain doesn't keep you from stitching for too long.

Brigitte said...

Another great post on your blog. Your ornament finishes are all very beautiful and they all look so perfect. And I think your granddaughter will be highly pleased with her little skater's ornament.
Exchanges can be such a wonderful experience. I'm looking forward to seeing what is still hidden in the big package.

Pine Valley Quilts said...

Your ornaments are gorgeous.
Wonderful gift exchange I would definitely like to sign up for next yea, great idea.

Bertie said...

Lovely ornaments, if you cannot stitch yourself, so much the better for receiving them!! It's good to be spoiled.
Thank you for your comment, I somehow lost your blog.
Happy Christmas and speedy recovery:))

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret, Do hope your arm/shoulder is on the mend and you can get back to normal way of life. All your projects are so pretty and well finished, love Amy's ornament and how proud you must be of her skating she is a shining star in all senses, enjoy her show at Christmas. The dresden plate pin cushion is so cheerful and I love the Christmas tree wall hanging, won't be long now until you are in the UK with your dear grand children.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS and also HAPPY BIRTHDAY to dear friend.
Love Hazel

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

Margeret, your ornaments are precious!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hello Margaret,
Your blog is very enjoyable. You are talented with your stitching. My taste is similar to yours and always a treat to see your work.
I loved the video of your granddaughter ice skating! She is certainly a star--very good!!! She will love her ornament, it is beautiful!
Beverly