Friday, January 31, 2014

A trio of pouches

Hi everyone,

I'm scrambling to get a blog post in for January having left it til the last minute as usual. I'm not sure where the month went but time is flying too fast for me.

I've been in the mood for knitting just lately and I wanted to make a couple of pouches for small projects such as sock knitting.
In the end I managed to get three out of my chosen fabrics and here they are



I think my favourite of the three is the small size. I used the Noodlehead Open Wide Zippered Pouch tutorial found here I really love this pattern and see many more in my future.
The pictures should be clickable for a better view if you wish.

The drawstring pouch was loosely based on this tutorial and the large zippered pouch was made using a paid for pattern from the Oh Frannson blog


So what is in the bag? Some sock knitting of course! I made the mistake of giving my husband a pair of hand knitted socks and now he has decided that those are the only kind he wants to wear any more so these will be for him.



Next are some Christmas ornaments that I gave as gifts and couldn't show before Christmas

This is LHN Six Little Cardinals



I found the perfect backing fabric



This ornament was stitched using a lovely little free stitchery design by Gail Pan



back view



I received this pretty ornament from my lovely friend Yvonne in Australia



and two "snowy" finishes with apologies to those of you currently freezing in the USA
The first I stitched so many years ago I can no longer remember much about it other than it is a Lizzie Kate Flip it - possibly the first series?



friend Angela was kind enough to send me the perfect snowman print backing fabric



also used on this LHN piece It's Snow Cold


I think the only other things I have to show this time are to do with spinning. I'm still very much the beginner but I know there are at least two of you that are interested to see my beginner efforts

This fibre is Aquarious from the World of Wool Constellation range and a couple of books I got for Christmas





I spun it on my very basic drop spindle and achieved about 410 yds of what I think might be a lightweight DK yarn



So far I hadn't attempted to knit any of the yarn I've spun but I knitted the Age of Brass and Steam shawlette from the yarn I showed in a previous post just to see how it came out.



I know there are many of you that, like me, love to do a variety of needlecrafts so I just wanted to link to Make it Coats a new to me website that I've been enjoying. My link is to the UK website but I notice you can click on the flag to bring up the American site as well.

Finally welcome to the new followers that have joined via Bloglovin and Google. I'm glad you found your way here.
Thanks to everyone who continues to visit my blog even though I'm not a frequent poster. I have, however, posted twice today. Now that is a first!

Margaret


34 comments:

Caz said...

Two posts in one day,, love the little stitchery in the previuos post. And what a cute trio of Sheep fabric usage. I am going to get more Sheep (fabric) when I see it! You will have to teach Bob how to knit his own socks!

Giovanna said...

The ornaments are all lovely, and so is the knitting and sewing - well done.

Theresa said...

oh I love the knitting sheep, how perfect! I didn't know you were spinning - how are you finding it? I'm intrigued by it but not sure I can fit in another craft! I've been doing a fair bit if crocheting lately and a bit of knitting too - must be the cold weather! All of your ornaments are lovely and the results of your spinning are fabulous - such a lovely colouring to the yarn.

Mii Stitch said...

So many lovely finishes! The pouches are great and so are all these cute ornaments.... well done!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Margaret, Your pouches are very pretty as is your cross stitch projects.. Lovely pressie you have received. BUT I absolutely LOVE your wool spinning into yarn.. The yarn turned out gorgeous and your shawl is very lovely.. I need to get moving and try to spin too. Hugs Judy

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

So many pretty projects! I especially love the ornaments. Your yarn is wonderful and the stockings look so comfy. No wonder your husband only want to wear your handmade stockings!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Where to start -- you always have so much handmade goodness. I keep bookmarking zippy pouch tutorials! I think your spun yarn is just gorgeous. I'm excited to see what you make with it. I think the mister knows a good thing when has has them!

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I love your yarn Margaret, such a gorgeous colour and your previous yarn has knit up beautifully! :)
V xxx

Sheila said...

Love the pouches made from the knitting sheep fabric...absolutely perfect.
As is everything you make ;)

sigisart said...

Dear Margaret,
lovely little works and finishes...the sheeep pouches are so cute, I also have the fabric and already used it, now I have a little bit rest and keep it...
Your stitcheries are so lovely and the back is always very suitable..
Have a creative weekend.
Hugs
sigisart

Christine M said...

Great finishes Margaret. I love those little cross stitches.

Yvonne W said...

Love the sheep fabric-- how appropriate for your knitting bag. The yarn you have spun looks perfectly even--did you say you were new to it? Lucky hubby to get hand knitted socks.

angelasweby said...

Margaret, I knew you would get a post in for January so popped over quickly to check and I was not disappointed :-)
I love the little pouches. What a great idea and those socks for Bob look gorgeous. So warm and snuggly, no wonder he won't wear anything else.
The Christmas ornaments are lovely. So glad that snowman fabric was useful. The tiny cardinal fabric is perfect too.
Your spinning is amazing. Sorry but you no longer qualify as a beginner :-)

Carol-Ann said...

Just love those pouches and the sheep fabric is perfect for your stitching needs. Adorable little stitcheries to give and receive. Another uplifting blog post.

Margaret said...

Ok, I'm totally impressed by your yarn. You made that with a drop spindle? Wow! Is it plied or just single ply? It's gorgeous! Love the bags you made as well, and the stitching too. But that yarn. Wow. lol about your DH -- you've spoiled him for good now!

Peg said...

Beautiful post as always Margaret, I love your creations. How's Bob doing improving I hope. I really enjoy knitting socks and have 3 pair just off the needles, I thought I'd never be able to use circular needles but I quite enjoy it. Love your bogs as always.
Take care lovely lady and enjoy your weekend. Best wishes to Bob and Sheila.

Peg x

Barb said...

I love your ornaments and the back fabrics are just perfect! Also such pretty yarn and bags.

Cindy said...

Love the bags and cross stitches, but I'm really drawn to that yarn you spun. It it beautiful and looks very professionally done. That shawl is so pretty too. I've been looking around for an easy shawl pattern. Was this very hard? Thanks for sharing!

Lesleyanne said...

Your finishes are gorgeous. The backing fabric on Cardinals and the Snowmen are perfect.

Roberta said...

Well, Margaret, once again I am truly amazed at your talent. Love the bags especially the drawstring one, but it is the fabric that is so perfect. Your spinning is amazing it looks so professional and socks for Bob you go girl.

Andrea said...

Oh that fabric is just so funny! Love all of your finishes Margaret. Your ornament gifts are lovely.

Lili said...

Love the pouches, the cotton fabric is so funny!!
Beautiful ornaments to.
Hugs,
Lili

Anonymous said...

Lovely!!!! Lovely!!!!
Francoise

Nancy said...

You are so very talented Margaret! Everything is beautiful, and how fun that Bob enjoys your knitted socks!

Thank you for the link to Coats.

Carol said...

I always look forward to your monthly updates, Margaret! The pouches are so cute (and useful!!). And your little ornaments are so sweet--that cardinal fabric is so adorable!

Looking forward to seeing that beautiful shawl progress--it's going to be lovely :)

Our weather warmed up temporarily, but it sure has been a grueling winter here in the U.S. We are definitely counting the days until spring :)

Lonneke said...

Wow, it all looks so great!
Love your ornaments, they are all finished so lovely.
Love your knitting and spinning, how I wish I could knit socks too.
And love, l o v e your sheep pouches! What is better then keeping your projects in your own handmade, making-you-smile bags.

Ellen said...

Beautiful pouches for your knitting!

Love your ornaments especially that stitchery one!

Love your spinning, looking forward to seeing what you will make from this yarn!

Hugs,

Brigitte said...

These pouches are great and thanks for sharing the site where you found the tutorial. I also have a pouch pattern but it's much more complicated and you have to insert the zipper by hand - nothing that I like doing, lol.
Wonderful knitting and stitching, too. I love the shawl you knitted with the wool that you spun yourself. Such gorgeous colours.

Lynn B said...

Hi Margaret,
Lovely knitting projects, I am currently researching how to knit socks as I have no clue! Apparently once you wear handmade socks you never want to wear any others so I can understand your husband on this.
I too am in the mood for knitting and crochet, it's funny how our mood changes to different crafts.
I think the cold weather makes me want to be surrounded by wool! Lol!
Hope you are well.

Karoline said...

Great finishes, congratulations. Your hand spun is gorgeous

Michelle said...

Beautiful finishes Margaret and the yarn is beautiful xx

Sheryl said...

Hi Margaret, what lovely work, I really don't know where you find the time. Such pretty ornaments.

Jeanne said...

Such pretty things Margaret - beautiful yarns and love all your ornies. I get a little kick out of finding just the right backing fabrics from my quilting stash for ornaments and things. Make me think I am using up some of that fabric even if I'm only cutting out a little square LOL. At the rate I'm going I can make up ornaments for about 100 years! Thanks again for showing such lovely things to inspire us.

Sally said...

Everything is so lovely Margaret. Love your shawl and all your ornaments and those pouches are so cute.

I bought a sock kit ages ago and haven't dare try yet!